filter: blur(8px); -webkit-filter: blur(8px); filter: blur(8px); -webkit-filter: blur(8px);
top of page

Carlson's Big Day (and video review) Move Auburn Past LSU

In true Auburn-LSU fashion, the game came down to the wire. Fortunately, for the home team, the game ended in their favor. Auburn defeated LSU, 18-13 in thrilling fashion.

With one second left on the clock in the fourth quarter, LSU quarterback Brandon Etling threw a pass to the end zone, where a Bayou Tigers brought it down. Except, there was one issue.

A play prior, LSU’s offense committed an illegal shift penalty. Following the penalty, the clock would start on the referee’s whistle. After a review, it was determined that LSU had not snapped the ball within one second, and the game was over.

Auburn Football almost dominated every aspect of the stat sheet in the first half, except the scoreboard. Auburn outgained LSU 231 yards to LSU’s 137, including having a hefty lead in the passing department, with Sean White passing for 144 yards, to Danny Etling’s 23.

Auburn got on the board first, thanks to a 51-yard field goal by Daniel Carlson with 6:32 to go in the first. LSU answered nearly four-minutes later, when tight end Foster Moreau scored on a 3-yard pass completion. The officials initially ruled the play as down at the one, but it was later clarified that the football crossed the plain of the goal line before Moreau’s knee went down. LSU took over the lead with 2:47 to go in the opening quarter.

Auburn and LSU traded punts for a majority of the second quarter, Auburn would inch closer to LSU on the first possession of the quarter, however. Daniel Carlson attempted his 8th field goal of the season, which was good from 29 yards out, to make the game 7-6 in favor of LSU. With 10:55 remaining in the quarter, LSU quarterback Danny Etling went down with an apparent head injury. Though no flag was initially thrown, the play would ultimately go under review. Following the review, it was determined that Etling had been hit in the head following a tackle by an Auburn defender, which was led with his head. Linebacker Tre Williams was the culprit, and was ejected as a result. Fortunately, Etling was only out for one play following an evaluation.

The drive would end after Auburn’s Carl Lawson sacked Etling at the Auburn 34 yard line. Colby Delahoussaye attempted a 51-yard field goal, in hopes to extend LSU’s lead. His attempt was short, and Auburn took over at the 34-yard line.

On the ensuing drive, Auburn was stopped on third down, and for the second time in the quarter, Daniel Carlson attempted, and made, a 29-yard field goal. Carlson’s successful attempt gave Auburn their second lead of the game, 9-7, with 5:14 left in the half.

Auburn had another opportunity to score, as the Tigers drove down to the LSU one-yard line, but LSU stopped Auburn’s Kerryon Johnson on fourth down. Auburn ended the half up 9-7.

Sean White outpassed Danny Etling 144 yards to 23 in the first half. Kamryn Pettway was Auburn’s leading rusher with 56 total yards on 15 carries. Tray Matthews led in tackles with 4. Auburn also outgained LSU 231 yards to 137. For LSU, Leonard Fournette rushed for 64 yards on 7 carries in the first half.

The Auburn defense stood strong on the opening possession of the second half, as they held LSU to a three-and-out.

The ensuing drive saw drama. LSU’s Arden Key was called for roughing the passer, but there was question as to whether or not he led with his head. After review, it was determined that Key’s hit did not constitute targeting. The penalty moved Auburn to the LSU 20-yard line, but again, LSU’s defense stood strong, and forced Auburn to kick another field goal. Carlson connected on his 4th field goal of the night, to extend the lead to 12-7 Auburn with 9:43 to go in the third quarter. LSU would end the ensuing drive on a 29-yard Colby Delahoussaye field goal, with 5:36 to go in the third. LSU had a great drive going, with Leonard Fournette rushing for 16 yards, followed by a 32-yard completion from Etling to Tight End Colin Jeter, which moved LSU into Auburn Territory. The drive ended, when Etling was tackled behind the line of scrimmage by freshman Marlon Davidson, and senior Montravius Adams.

LSU would gain their second lead of the night with 2:32 remaining in the third quarter. Delahoussaye nailed his 2nd field goal in just over a three minute span, to give LSU a 13-12 lead. The drive was set up by a fumble recovery by defensive lineman Davon Godchaux at the Auburn 25 yard line, which was the first turnover of the night by either team.

Kerryon Johnson had two carries, and was on the receiving end of a 26-yard screen pass on Auburn’s next possession, but Auburn would yet again need to rely on Carlson’s leg. Carlson nailed his 5th field goal of the night from 37-yards out, to give Auburn a 15-13 lead with 12:36 to go in the final quarter. Carlson, at this point, is 11-11 on field goal attempts this season.

That’s how the game ended, with Auburn earning their first SEC win at Jordan-Hare Stadium since 2014. This was also the first time that Auburn won a game, without scoring a touchdown, since the infamous 3-2 win over Mississippi State in 2008.

For Daniel Carlson, his six successful field goals tie a school record for most field goals made in a game. The last Tiger to do it, was Al Del Greco in 1982, when he kicked six field goals against Kentucky.

Auburn will host Louisiana-Monroe next Saturday, at 2:30PM.

Recent Posts
No tags yet.
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page